Thursday, July 06, 2006

Religious Freedom of Expression

I don't know if anyone has been following the news up here in the northeast - there is a lawsuit being filed by a Catholic priest and his supervisor against Naugatuck Valley Community college. This priest alleges that he is being discriminated against for his beliefs. His superior - not a priest - supports his claim. In fact, the supervisor alleges that HE had been harrassed in order to obtain his co-operation in the colleges attempt to alleviate the priest of his teaching post.
If you do not believe in the Constitution of the United States of America - in particular - Amendments 1 through 10 which are more commonly referred to as the Bill of Rights, I suggest you stop reading right here. Specifically, I am referring to the First Amendment to the Constitution, ratified on December 15, 1791, which states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"
Now I am neither a lawyer nor a policy maker. I have no sheepskin behind me stating that I am and educated woman. I am nothing more than a Jane Doe working class grunt.
What that amendment says to me is that there is not now, nor will there ever be a federal, state or local law or ordinance which prohibits any religion I or anyone else chooses to practice. This is, from what I can see - inclusive of every known religion from Buddhism to Hinduism, from Wicca to Judaism, from Catholicism to Taoism and many others whose names I do not know. I do not see where this is limited to specific faiths or specific times or specific forums. In fact, I can look at this and interpret it as a guarantee of the ability to practice the faith one chooses. Or practice no faith at all.
There are no limits placed on where one may worship nor in what form my worship may take. I happen to be Roman Catholic. But were I of the Hebrew faith, Muslim faith, or Jehovah Witness, or any other faith - the right to practice my faith as I see fit is guaranteed to me. As it is guaranteed to a priest, a brother, a sister, a minister, a rabbi, a mullah, an imam, or a priestess.
In fact, freedom of religion is why many of our ancestors came to this country. Certainly the Pilgrims and the Amish and the Mormons did. As did many Scots and Irish.

Remember when we were in kindergarten and our report cards had a category on them for socialization skills? One of those was "Plays Well With Others". If that is so important as to be skill we look for and try to develop in kindergarten, why is it we do not carry that through to our adult life? Live and let live is a phrase that comes to mind - it is one principal we as a people do NOT practice. We simply pay lip service to this philosphy. It seems that having no religion at all is infinitely more socially acceptable.
Yet it is in the tenets and teachings of most religions that we find basic good values like respect and love for others. It is in respecting each other for our individual values and mores that we find true diversity. It is diversity - and acceptance of views different than our own that makes this country the great country that it is.
The priest I mentioned earlier - his vestments, his teachings, and his desire to be addressed by his correct title - Father - are the things which he and his superior believe are causing him trouble.
This priest teaches business courses and he teaches them with a Christian flavor. Big business. The same big business that I mentioned in an earlier post which has the law in its pocket and its favor. The same big business that has spawned such momentous occasions as "The Collapse of Enron" ? That big business? It seems to me that Big Business could perhaps use a wee bit of morality.
A collar - a sign of priesthood. Perhaps, as a man, this teacher-priest should not be given more than any other teacher. I do not believe he is asking for any more than any other teacher. In fact - keeping his vows in mind, I doubt he is even asking for AS MUCH AS any other teacher.
If I go to college and graduate with a PhD, I am entitled to be called Doctor. If I become a lawyer, I am entitled to have the title Esquire attached to my name. This priest went to college. Its called a Seminary. You study theology - the study of religion. Along with the usual plethora of studies like mathematics, languages, and the English language in particular. When you graduate AND TAKE HOLY ORDERS, you are granted the title Father. This is a title of respect. Not just respect for the man who has dedicated his life to his religion of choice - but respect for the knowledge which he has accrued through diligent years of study. Respect because the man is capable of running a large organization with very small amounts of money. Respect because the man is dedicated to the community in which he lives. Respect for the knowledge he has of mankind and his chosen religion - philosophically, technically and historically. If we can respect a PhD for his accomplishments by calling him "Doctor" - why can we not show respect for a priest by calling him "Father"?

No comments: